Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happiness is...knitting progress

As I have mentioned way too often, I was busy working on a knitting project for a Secret Santa recipient, and I got a late start. But I finished it. And it is awesome.



That's right, it's a bacon scarf. Meant to look like a giant slab of bacon. It's using a technique called double knitting that makes it reversible, which is one reason it took so long.

But it was so worth it. It is beautiful. And my Secret Santa got it this week, and loved it.

If you ever want to give this a try, the pattern is free here.

I also finished one of my baby sweater projects, for a friend who is due in March.



I love this sweater. The alpaca I used is buttery soft, the tonal blues are gorgeous, and I just want to sit and hold it. I still need buttons for the wrap part, and then it will be ready to send off.

This next project has a story (Dr. L, you're going to tell another story? I'm shocked!).



I started making this hat sometime last year with some leftover yarn from a sweater I made. I think part of me wanted a matching sweater/hat set. It was my first attempt at knitting in the round, and it was going well. Until I got to the that dark brown part in the middle and realized I was running out of yarn. Quickly.
I hit my local yarn store and the owner helped me find a nice red wool that would go with the brim. I took it home and it disappeared into my yarn stash. When I looked for it 2 months later, it was nowhere to be found.
Last weekend was the yarn store's Super Bowl sale, and I knew I was going to get some yarn and finish the damn hat. I found the gold stuff that now makes up the top of it, and a woman there convinced me to buy a second skein so I'd have a matching pair of mittens. Being drunk on wool and silk fumes, I went for it. So now I have to sit down at some point and make mittens.
Speaking of mittens, my only frustration this weekend was my mitten attempt using some amazing merino that I have. I screwed up the pattern twice and got lost while frogging it, so I tore the whole thing out and will re-try when I'm in a better frame of mind.
In the meantime, I have a Celtic knot shawl that I started several months ago, and it's calling my name. I need to make some progress on that.
By the way, if anyone knows where to find a good pair of size 1 knitting needles for a good price, let me know. I have a silk sweater pattern tempting me.

No comments: