Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's with the organic sugar, Dr L?

So you might wonder why I mentioned underprocessed sugar and organic sugar in my last post. Or not. But I feel like talking about it. That's what happens when it's late and you're in front of a computer in a quiet house because your husband went to bed early.

A while back I changed my diet. The reasoning behind it is kinda long and detailed, and I tell enough rambling stories, so I'll spare you for now. But I decided to cut out all dairy, and all processed flour and sugar from my diet. An experiment of sorts.

I knew this might be a challenge. As I discussed with a bunch of my online friends lately, some of us grew up with a lot of processed food and TONS of sugar. I remember giving sugar (and anything made with it) up for Lent one year in junior high, without thinking of substitutes. I looked like a prison camp survivor by the time those 40 days were over. I made up for it with a bowl of lime sherbet for breakfast on Easter morning, and shot up 4" and 27 lbs that summer. Fueled by simple carbs.

I also LOVE milk, and cheese. Sharp cheddar. Baked brie. Hot chocolate. Whipped cream straight out of the can. My mouth is watering just typing it. But, like I said, I was willing to give it a try.

So I replaced all of our regular all-purpose flour with unbleached and organic. And added more whole wheat flour. J went along and replaced any white bread and English muffins with whole grains. I bought either organic sugar or agave nectar, my now-favorite go-to sweetener when I can find it. I switched to rice or hemp milk, and rice cheese (very disappointing, but key to the experiment).

And I started to feel better. I dropped about 10 pounds. My skin cleared up considerably. My allergies were almost nonexistent. I got to the point where those commercials showing gooey doughnuts or sugar-covered anything made me cringe. Yuck yuck yuck.

I still indulge here and there. Dark chocolate finds me when I least expect it. I have eaten a bagel or a soft pretzel. Or that pizza that J lovingly made for me with regular cheese. I'm not a freak about it. I'm just more careful what I eat. The experiment seems to be working, so I'll ride it as long as I feel good. My sister-in-law and I even convinced my mom to try the non-dairy route to see if it will help her asthma.

So there you have it. I may occasionally mention agave nectar in my recipe posts, or what component of a recipe I replaced with an option from my fridge or pantry. It's all part of the experiment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love! It's amazing the difference diet makes!

none said...

I have heard great things about Daiya cheese. I haven't tried it because Sophie used to have issues with peas but I have heard it's much better than Rice cheese (bleck - oily plastic). My next step is processed sugar.