Sunday, January 24, 2010

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

Oh, I wish I had pictures.

I first heard about this book from my father. Who heard about it from my sister in law, the master vegan chef ;) Warm, crusty loaves of bread, made with minimal time and effort in my own kitchen. What could be better?

I got the book for Christmas, thanks to a Secret Santa. My first attempt wasn't the best experience of my life. It was my own fault. While it may take 5 minutes of hands-on time, there is the matter of prepping the loaf, and letting it rest, and baking it. Which takes considerably longer than 5 minutes. And I decided at 6 or 7pm to make a loaf for dinner. Dinner was late. But the bread was awesome.

Since then I figured it out. Just make a loaf on a random weekend afternoon, or after dinner when I'm hanging out watching TV or doing chores. That way there's no time crunch and we have delish bread for the week, or at least for a few days. I tried one of the variations that makes what looks like a string of dinner rolls, and they didn't last more than 10 minutes out of the oven. I made another batch this afternoon and polished it all off myself.

As I type, there is more dough rising, and I'm going to make a bigger loaf before I turn in for the night. Between that and the minestrone in the crock pot, I am set for lunch this week.

Now I'm trying to get my hands on Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I can't wait.

No comments: