Sunday, January 17, 2010

Comfort food

J and I have been in a bit of a food rut lately. It's pretty much a half dozen dishes we have in heavy rotation, and the oh-so occasional new dish.

We also don't have much time to cook during the week, what with his schedule and my commute. So we try to cook in big batches on the weekend and have portions to grab for lunch or heat up for dinner each day.

I wanted something...anything...new to do with chicken. There are only so many times you are going to grill it or bake it before you start thinking to yourself, "Self, we need something new."


So I looked through my cookbooks (which are many and varied). And settled on--chicken pot pie! From the South Beach Cookbook! So yummy and healthy (I hoped). I threw some chicken breast in to broil in preparation, and whipped up some homemade crust per the instructions.

OMG, so good! The sauce tasted perfect (and I'm assuming is South Beach friendly because I didn't use any cream--just broth and flour). The chicken was perfect (and that was just dumb luck). J had seconds, it was so good. And we still have leftovers for the week.

This one's a keeper!

No comments: