Saturday, August 2, 2008

We're at War!

No pictures yet, I haven't had a chance to take many. That will change...

The weather is great--sunny and 80. Can't ask for much better.

We checked in and got our Pennsic medallions. Mom, you would like them--there's a fleur de lis in the middle of it. The medallions are your pass to get in and around Pennsic. If you don't have one, you can't get in. Very important piece of jewelry.

The bad news--our normal off-site parking area is gone. This really nice lady who lived right outside the site used to rent out her front yard for parking. Sadly, she sold the house and the new owners aren't quite to anxious to make some cash this week. Fortunately it looks like there are some spots close to the action this year. Fingers crossed.

The good news--the husband has an official pass to put up a canopy on the battlefield. That means a central location to meet while we're here, he can be close to the action, and I can have a place to hang out and knit when I'm not taking classes.

Our B&B, as always, is lovely. We have a new room this year, and I love it. We're having French toast casserole tomorrow morning--yum!

My class schedule tomorrow looks like fun. I get to learn how to make soap in the morning, and I get to learn about Scotch whiskey in the afternoon (and maybe get a tasting). I'll be thinking of you, Dad!

Oh, and D, to answer your questions:

How are the royalty selected? They have fighting tournaments every 6 months, and the winner is crowned king. Funny enough, these particular tournaments are called Crown Tournaments. Opening Ceremonies are tomorrow morning, so I'll see lots of royalty.

Also- is that a fake tattoo? Most definitely. I can't handle that much pain. They put it on with woad, which is an indigo dye. I had a great chat with the guy who put it on me, so I may have to visit him again just to say hello and get a little design done.

More to come!

1 comment:

d said...

That sounds lovely! =)