Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dating myself

When I was 12, I saw this commercial, or one of the gazillion others she did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpd3-gOiZU

And I HAD to have Calvin Klein jeans. For months, I told my parents that all I wanted for Christmas was a pair of Calvin Klein jeans. The closest they could come in our podunk town were purple corduroy Calvin Klein pants available at the Navy Exchange (remember people, this was 1980).

Christmas came, and next to the fireplace was a pair of Calvin Klein purple cords. For me. I was so happy. I wore them all.the.time.

Flash forward to today. I'm at the outlet mall, ostensibly looking for a new suit to go with my new job, but I see a Calvin Klein store. Chock full of jeans. And I have to try on a skinny pair. And they fit. And they were only $40.

I was tempted to tell my story to the lady who helped me, since she's old enough to remember the Brooke Shields commercials. But she was busy, and I couldn't take the time bring the 20-something guy behind the register up to speed. Instead I called my mom and asked if she remembered the purple corduroy CK pants. She didn't, but she enjoyed the story anyway.

Now I'm waiting for Friday so I can wear my CK jeans. 'Cuz nothing comes between me and my Calvins ;)

2 comments:

Hello said...

Great story! I remember how popular CK jeans were.

Rachel said...

that's awesome :-)