Monday, August 4, 2008

First full day at Pennsic

Opening ceremonies were yesterday, so I did get to see lots of royalty, and drool over pretty dresses:





My dress--functional, but not quite so pretty.



I saw some neat personae I hadn't encountered before. One of the kings had a giant turban on his head--it actually looked like one of those paper lanterns you hang in your backyard. I have no idea how he kept it on his head. And these cool guys in Asian armor:



I wish I'd videotaped the opening parade. Each kingdom came in, some with drums, some with bagpipes, some with singing. And everyone had a drink in their hand :) Then they all gathered around the castle, swore their loyalty to one side or another, and broke for lunch!




Kids are my favorite things at Pennsic. This little girl looks like she stepped out of a Dutch painting.



And she had some pretty cool wheels to ride around in



I had to get my perennial shot of the hill with the logo on it. There's a big Roman numeral 37 on the hill this year.



Lots of fighting, as usual. I mean, that's why we're here, right? The husband got to battle inside the castle, and I watched some individual and small group tournaments and practices.



I learned to make soap, but missed out on whiskey tasting. There's always next year! Next up the husband does some more fighting and I learn about this SCA thing. Oh, and calligraphy.









No comments: