Friday, August 1, 2008

Off to War!

Let me explain.

The husband has been a member of the SCA since college. It's kinda hard to describe, but basically it's a worldwide society of people whose hobby is recreating medieval life in all its aspects, be it mercenary warriors, poets, musicians, seamstresses, brewers, you name it. Very interesting stuff. People choose personas to represent, anywhere from 600 to 1600AD, and live these personas when they get together for SCA events, both large and small. Some people do the bare minimum to go medieval, while other people really get into it. Think Civil War re-enactors, but a few centuries earlier.

Most kingdoms get together for a big event, or war, every year. In the kingdom where we reside, that war is upon us, and it's called Pennsic. Tomorrow we're heading off to Pennsic War XXXVII.

I'm looking forward to it. The husband gets to armor up and whack people with large sticks (yes, they really fight, armor and all, but their weapons are rattan-based, not live steel).



I get to take classes on medieval subjects (I'm really looking forward to Sinister Calligraphy and the history of scotch whiskey [complete with free tastings]). And there's the shopping, and gawking at royalty, and watching 10,000 or so people create a series of medieval villages in the middle of western PA.




Plus, I get to dress up. What girl doesn't want an entirely separate wardrobe, just for such events? I'm already drooling over some dresses I saw online that I.must.have. And maybe some new shoes.



If the laptop lets me download pix, I'll post from the road.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You scared me there for a minute. Have a blast!

RooManda said...

my sister was in SCA in college...but for her, it stood for Society of Creative Acronyms. Ha!

d said...

How are the royalty selected?

Also- is that a fake tattoo? =)

Have fn!