Monday, June 2, 2008

Beans for the summer!

I may or may not have mentioned that I was building a raised garden bed to grow some produce this year. My wonderful husband helped me put it all together, I added the dirt and seeds, and waited for something to happen. I also double-wrapped it in netting, because we have critters of various sizes that would love to eat new shoots of anything this time of year. I kept trying not to check it on a daily basis, because nothing is more disappointing that seeing a box full of dirt.

Then I bought some strawberries, and had something green to look at. And the spinach and mesclun started sprouting. I wondered about the beans.

Well, wonder no more. Seemingly overnight, I have at least a half-dozen bean plants, and they're tall enough that I'll probably need to stake them tomorrow morning. I'm SO excited!

For this summer, we should have a good harvest of basil, onion (2 varieties), spinach, mesclun, strawberries, and 2 varieties of string beans.

I'll take pictures tomorrow morning. At 6am. As I'm watering my plant babies. *yawn*