Friday, June 27, 2008

RIP Carmen


She fought the good fight, but just didn't have it in her to go on any longer. She passed away almost 8 years to the day that I brought her home as a speckled kitten from the Baltimore SPCA. Her last night was a good one, though--she napped on the sofa while J and I hung out with her. Not a bad way to spend your last day.
We don't have a definitive diagnosis, but J and I think she had feline hepatic lipidosis. If treated it has a 20-30% fatality rate, but if untreated (as with Carmen, we just didn't know she had it), it has a 90% fatality rate. So please, if your furry feline stops eating and isn't herself, make sure you have her liver enzymes checked out so you can keep her longer than we had our "evil mew".
This is how we'll remember her. In your face all the way!

3 comments:

Busted said...

So sorry about your kitty.

RooManda said...

Such a sweet girl, I have a special place in my heart for tortise shell calicos.
Still thinking lots of you and your furkids and the hubman.

d said...

Sorry to hear about your baby. =( I'm glad you had a good evening with her, though, and I'm sure she knew how much you guys loved her.

As for the vet...guess you won't trust them with another animal, right?