Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Veterans Day!

Once upon a time, there was a smart, handsome man who joined the Navy ROTC so he could be the first man in his family to graduate from college. After receiving his commission, he learned to fly jets and went off to fight an unpopular war in a far away land. Over the years he endured long separations from his family and enjoyed the times he could have shore duty and be reunited with his growing clan. He married a wonderful woman who became a fantastic Navy wife, and had 3 kids who adjusted to the ups and downs of being military brats. He served near (San Diego) and far (Diego Garcia). After 23 years of faithful service, he retired from the military, but remained close to its community. To this day he still counsels those who are transitioning from military service to life in the civilian world, sometimes not an easy task.

Happy Veterans Day Dad. Thanks for your dedication as a member of our armed forces. And thanks to all the men and women who have served or continue to serve.

3 comments:

budley said...

Thanks darling daughter for the wonderful comments. It brought tears to your mom's eyes and a little to mine too!! Not only did I have a wonderful Navy wife, you had a wonderful Navy mother, and you were wonderful and patient Navy "brats". So now I'm home and you all are grown and gone! I still enjoy being with each and every one of you and look forward to many more years with you all.

Luv;

Dad

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

so sweet!!!! And the comment from your dad brought tears to my eyes.

Your California Convert said...

I don't think that I was always so wonderful (in fact I know that I wasn't) but I hope that you remembet all the good times we had...like watching the talking car and that awful southern show on TV (I've even blanked out their names in my mind). Thanks for being a good little Navy brat for your mom...especially when I was "mom AND dad" Much love, Mom