Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Snow. In October.

I'll preface this by saying that, living in the Poconos, we have a lot of choices for "local" news. We can pick up weather reports for NYC, Philly, and the areas around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Allentown. So we have a lot to choose from. Our morning usually starts with the Scranton news, followed by the Allentown news, and my drive in consists of mostly NYC news. So the weather reports can vary.

Our goofball weather girl in Scranton (no, she's not a meteorologist, so I feel justified in calling her the weather girl) predicted 4 to 8 inches of snow in the Poconos today. I told my husband she was smoking crack. Our meteorologist in Allentown predicted 1 to 3 inches of snow in the higher elevations of the Poconos, and a dusting to an inch in our neck of the woods. OK, that's more realistic, especially looking out the window this morning.

Oh, and BTW, the Jersey shore will get rain and 60mph winds today, northern NJ should expect snow (and the NYC radio station was reporting it live), Philly will get rain (but it should stop in time for the stupid World Series game to finish up), and there will be a mix in between.

So here's my daily weather report: the Poconos started the day with a rain/snow mix, NJ for the most part has rain (but higher elevations, like that pass I drove through to work, will have snow), and we get to repeat the process tonight and likely tomorrow morning.

If I get pictures of October snow, I'll be sure to post them. This kind of thing happened in Colorado, but I've never seen it this early in PA.

2 comments:

shoblock said...

it's snowed in NJ in October before. Oct 29th, 2002, for example. I can send the pictures, but I have no proof (other than my word) that I took them on that day.

d said...

When I lived in Erie, I would write the first and last snows on my calendar each year. There was definitely snow in October (and May, for that matter!)

Of course, Erie is a bit more north (and on the Lake).