Friday, May 22, 2009

Howdy from Austin

Every other year, my mom and I go on a girls' trip together (yes, my dad is bitter that he's not invited). We decided we should "meet in the middle" this year, and Austin sounded like a fun place to do so.

We both arrived yesterday, and immediately headed to all 80,000 square feet of Whole Foods (down the street from the original Whole Foods). Mom wants to go back and browse some more--we could have spent all day there.

We spent our first full day bumming around town (and getting a mild sunburn--Texas is hot!). We visited SoCo (the South Congress Street area), which is full of quirky and offbeat restaurants and shops. I bought not one, but 2 pairs of cowboy boots, and a great pair of jeans to wear with them. I also found a yarn shop, my downfall. Thank goodness for stores that ship, or I would have been in trouble (or at least at the post office). Then we headed to the UT Austin bookstore, since Mom can't go anywhere without a commemorative pencil. She has quite the collection ;)

We finished off the day with a pedicure on 2nd Street, and dinner and wine flights at a local wine bar. Kobe beef, syrah, and chocolate fondue. I could get used to this ;)

Tomorrow is visiting either Lake Austin, the State Capitol, or the LBJ Library--we haven't decided which yet. Dad gets here Sunday, and we've decided he's taking us out to a fancy dinner. If you know of a good place, leave a comment and we may try it out!

I have to buy one of these shirts before I leave...

1 comment:

Amy (TheGiggleWorm) said...

sounds like you are having a great time!