Sunday, April 19, 2009

Single woman's dinner (this one's for you, Mom)



The husband was out and about with after-work activities on Tuesday. Though I love him with all my heart, and we have a good time together, sometimes it's nice to have the house to myself. I can eat what I want, when I want, watch TV shows he hates, and not have to spend the mental energy making sure he's happy and fed.





So I made my second-favorite single woman's dinner (a close second behind a bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine). Fried noodles, a "recipe" handed down through generations of women in my family.





According to my mom, this was a Depression dish that my Nana used to make all the time. It's quite simple--boil up some wide egg noodles, then fry in oil until they're crispy. You can spread them out so they're individual (like french fries), or fry them in globs to make them even more entertaining finger food. Always include a generous amount of ketchup for dipping.

My mom used to make these every so often when I was growing up. My dad isn't terribly fond of them, so they usually had a heavier rotation when he was away doing the Navy's business or just working late. We typicallly ate them with a side of pork and beans or applesauce. I had neither Tuesday night, and it was after 8:30 by time I was done cooking them, so it was just a giant plate of fried noodles.

Yum.

No comments: